Friday, April 9, 2010

VAGABOND [rambles]

So I was watching my friend play Madden on PS3 and I noticed that one of the best traits of the game was how realistic it is. For instance, Sprint and Bing.com are both companies who are advertised in this game - just like the real NFL.
Apparently, when synced online the advertisements/commercials are updated live.
Fascinating relations with product placement and the fact that we are so accustomed to advertisement that in order for something to be "real" it has to undergo mass production.

Just a quick question - this made me think about the following theorists/theories:
  • Althusser - RSA/ISA
  • Jameson - removal of the essence of the real
  • Benjamin - mass reproduction
  • Dorfman - total passivity (playing the game = willing to accept advertisements as because real games have certain qualities/characteristics)

Anyone know more that can enlighten me?

No comments:

Post a Comment