Thursday, April 22, 2010

ANother awesome post class blog for 4/20!!!

Well even though I already did a post class post this week I decided to do another one because the email said to…lucky me haha. Well anyway I think the best way to view Hooks is to compare it to West. Now looking at them both independently they both look at some very interesting social phenomenon and express ideas that should be taken into account, personally I think Hooks is a little nutty to say the least. If you look at the way West’s paper is set up it is pure genius, it is simple, easy and it goes like this…he sets up the problems that have been happening, looks at cultural, political and social aspects of it, offers some information as to why these things have been happening and then…you guessed it….he comes up with solutions of the problems. When you are reading West you feel as though you are reading something similar to “Letter from Birmingham Jail” because of the flow, syntax, and overall demeanor. When I was reading Hooks I felt like I was listening to Malcolm X on 10 redbulls and steroids at the same time. Once you wash down hooks, which believe me takes a long time, you begin to see what the author was finally trying to get at and the ideas are very interesting. I too believe that the other has been exploited and taken advantage of culturally and other ways. I think that by co-opting this “other” people have made a lot of money such as Nike, and yeah Vanilla Ice too haha just kidding he was awesome. I think this topic is very hard to address sometimes because of the heated nature that most debates often tend to go to on the subject. I think the real solution here is not a multi-cultural lens that makes every single word offensive, like my wonderful generation today…so sad, but instead one word…pride….put it aside for 10 minutes and erase the hate. Believe it can happen, look at veterans…there is no apartheid or racism in a foxhole now is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment