Tuesday, April 13, 2010

VAGABOND, Foucault


When reading Foucault, the first thing that came to my mind was George Orwell’s concept of the Big Brother.

Looking back at my daily activities, it seems as if I have a choice but unfortunately we don't. I think about my actions and realize that while some of my decisions are governed by my sense of morality, it does not measure up to this notion of fear.

Fear, what a familiar term we have talked about in CMC. Is it not the adrenaline rush we enjoy when we get a thrill? The notion of replaying certain framing of the shots all contribute to this idea of a spectacle.

For instance, I feel that while I may have a choice over things such as what time to wake up and whether or not I want to switch up my daily routine, I ultimately still have to go to class and get ready for it. The notion of free will seems so readily available but it isn't.

Another fleeting hope of this freedom is the Academic Honor Code. While we do not nee to have to write the AHC on every assignment, the consequence is that our work will not be assessed or looked at/given credit for. So...free will? I think not.

Is not the societal pressure, above all others, basically drafting and forcing all of usto participate in hegemony?

After all, Big Brother only functions because we more or less give up our ability to question and think, thus resulting to total passivity and focus on the mandated “good citizenship.”

No comments:

Post a Comment