Monday, April 19, 2010

Pre class for Difference for 4/20/10

Well...looks like i went and did it again...i think i already did this post on foxday but who cares, another chance to bash the french for me haha, sorry Clem...well anyway i think this is good because last time i mixed up the message of the piece. I find it interesting that they chose to look at the semiology of the word difference, i mean seriously werent there better words out there? normally words that are discursive have the most interesting histories but nevertheless it all worked out. I found it actually quite brilliant how the author was able to tie all of this into freud. I mean a lot of people can tie things into freud but tying the no point of origin or conclusion in the consciousness to the fact that the word had a very foggy background was very interesting and it made me look at freud a little bit more. Switching to Derrida I think the language of the piece was a little interesting because it was written in almost what seemed to be like a letter or some personal memoir that he would tuck away for a rainy day. From what i can gather this entire work was the man trying to piece together the differences and similarities and history of the word differance...which seems a little interesting if you ask me haha. I believe my favorite line (the saving grace) of the piece was "Every concept is necessarily and essentially inscribed in a chain or a system, within which it refers to another and to other concepts, by the systematic play of differences" (Derrida pg 127). Well this is really cool, it can be very easily linked to Habermas and Marx when you think of ideology and the public sphere and how everything is a link within the larger chain. it really made me think back to the idea that there is only ideology and we cannot operate out of it, only in it or for it. I think that this idea could be applied to a variety of different words as mentioned previously, but at the same time I think this was a good word because to me it almost seemed like play-on words because the man was looking for the differences in difference. Overall i thought it was a pretty good read and was satisfied with it. i mean it was a little hard to understand but overall a very good piece

No comments:

Post a Comment