Wednesday, April 7, 2010

VAGABOND, Derrida

Derrida is, hands down, the most complicating theorist we've covered so far.

I find his philosophy really redundant because he still doesn't reach a conclusion. Also, I don't see his reasoning behind his theories. From the beginning of the semester, we learned about the Ferdinand de Saussure's language and signifiers. I understand Derrida approaches de Saussure's theory with the idea that history only matters because we learn about differance and differences.

Putting de Saussure aside, I think it is interesting how he talks about the "truth." While CMC has trained my petty conglomerate washed mind to reconsider everything, I believe that there was never an absolute meaning nor truth/reality for any possible change to occur.

On page 130, Derrida says:
Differences are thus 'produced' - differed - by differance. But what differs, or who differs?
I suppose this is the most enlightening quote throughout this article. I find this interesting because the relationship was examined and the philosophical sense is revealed. When I read this, I thought about intertextuality and how we claim originality yet we are back to the topic of, what is the original?

No comments:

Post a Comment