Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pre-Class Derrida

First of all, I think it would have been possible – and much less confusing, time consuming, and annoying – for Derrida to write this without coining his own term and going on and on about it. This piece was extremely difficult to get through let alone get my head around. I did not much care for his prose. Regardless, I definitely agree with Devon that he is discussing something very similar to de Saussure’s notion of value; that a word’s value is determined by the existence and use of the other words. I am definitely seeing the connections to de Saussure and even Barthes in his argument. I would also like to point out that Molly made a good point about intertextuality and the formation of differences. You should all check out that post as well as Devon’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment