Sunday, April 4, 2010

VAGABOND post-class 4/1 [response to Clem]

As Jameson says it creates a privation of history by making a new representation of something that exists. Also it changes its ideology.
Clem,

I agree with the connection you've made. It's interesting how what is unnoticed, unsaid - the notion of the gap and the rupture, if you will put it - is what our ideology thrives on. I feel as the the dominant hegemony lies within the mystery of it all because when it is pointed out and made aware, no one realizes that the way we perceive and believe is all manipulated a certain way.

I thought about the gender ideology, how men perceive alpha males - better males - as controlling, aggressive, and capable of taking care of those around them. I also thought about how women are "followers" - as my boyfriend who constantly jokes that men are better at navigating/has a better sense of direction because they are leaders. Maybe throughout time, we have been conditionalized to believe that maybe men are indeed from Mars and women are from Venus. Does this explanation really explain our differences, or is it just me who finds it as an excuse that further separates us?

What I'm trying to get at is, who and since when did this kind of stature come to being? Who is responsible for this kind of ideals?

No comments:

Post a Comment